An online survey is a questionnaire that the target audience can complete over the Internet. Online surveys are usually created as Web forms with a database to store the answers and statistical software to provide analytics. People are often encouraged to complete online surveys by an incentive such as being entered to win a prize.
Advantages of Online Surveys:
Online surveys are a great option for people and organizations who would like to conduct their own research – they are less time consuming, they are cheaper, you get the results faster, and you can transfer and use the data in various applications to answer important questions. Below are some advantages of online surveys.
- Faster: The time span needed to complete an online survey project is on average two-thirds shorter than that of traditional research methods. Because information is being gathered automatically, you don’t have to wait for paper questionnaires to come back to you – response time is almost instant.
- Cheaper: Using online questionnaires reduces your research costs. You will save money on postage and you don’t have to allocate time and resources to enter the information into a database.
- More accurate: The margin of error is greatly reduced with online surveys because participants enter their responses directly into the system. Traditional methods rely on the attentiveness of staff to enter all details correctly, and naturally human error can creep in whenever a person has to perform a repetitive task.
- Quick to analyze: The results of the online survey are ready to be analyzed at any time. View results in real-time so you can act quickly, create graphs for reporting, export data for further analysis and share your results with anyone.
- Easy to use for participants: The majority of people that have access to the Internet prefer to answer surveys online instead of using the telephone. With an online survey, participants can pick a moment that suits those best and the time needed to complete the survey is much shorter.
- Easy to use for researchers: The main benefit of online surveys for researchers is that they increase productivity by saving time. Data is instantly available and can easily be transferred into specialized statistical software or spreadsheets when more detailed analysis is needed.
- Easy to style: An online survey is an opportunity to imprint your brand in the user’s mind and remind them of the benefits you provide. Your survey can be styled to match your business website with customized backgrounds, images, logo, fonts, final re-direct page and even the URL of your survey.
- More honest: Market researchers have found that participants overwhelmingly prefer to complete online surveys rather than take part in written questionnaires or telephone interviews and usually provide longer and more detailed answers.
- More selective: With an online survey you can pre-screen participants and allow only those who match your target profile to complete the survey.
- More flexible: The order of the questions in an online survey can be changed, or questions can be skipped altogether, depending on the answer to a previous question. This way, a survey can be tailored to each participant as he or she proceeds.
Some best online survey sites:
Companies often use online surveys to gain a deeper understanding of their customers’ tastes and opinions. Like traditional surveys, online surveys can be used in two basic ways:
- To provide more data on customers, including everything from basic demographic information to social data and
- To create a survey about a specific product, service or brand in order to find out how consumers are reacting to it.
In contrast to traditional surveys, online surveys offer companies a way to sample a broader audience at a lower cost.
Below is the list of some best online surveys:
- Swagbucks: Swagbucks are a reliable survey site who also offer rewards for playing games and watching videos. It is very popular with students, thanks to a wide variety of ways to earn rewards. Exclusive signup bonus! Completing surveys and polls every day provides the best return for your time, however you can also complete a much wider range of offers to bump up your earnings. Surveys take around 10 minutes to complete, meaning you can earn around £2.40 an hour. Swagbucks also offers users the ability to complete surveys from multiple providers and give consolation points when you don’t qualify for a survey.
- Toluna: A trusted opinion website working on behalf of leading companies. They want to know what you think about certain products, services and issues. In return, you get rewarded! You can also answer surveys on the site to earn yourself points which equal vouchers. Each survey takes around 15 minutes to complete, so it’ll take around 4 hours overall to earn a voucher.
- Valued Opinions: Valued Opinions are part of a larger market research group. They send out online surveys to members whose profiles match broad demographics and requirements. First off, signing up with Valued Opinions automatically enters you into a prize draw for an iPad. From there, they use your profile to send you relevant surveys to complete. The surveys are usually quite interesting, and can take anything from 10-30 minutes each, so within just one hour you could bag yourself a £10 voucher.
- YouGov: This is a little different to others, focusing more on social issues and general interest topics. YouGov polls include topics such as politics, public affairs and commercial products. Great if you have big opinions! YouGov is one of the more interesting sites to sign up to because of the kinds of surveys they conduct. Most are on current issues that are in the news and they encourage you to express your views. Surveys can take up to 30 minutes but are not always that frequent. We received one or two a fortnight, so it can take a few months to hit the threshold. However, you get £1 just for joining and if you get your friends to sign up too you can quickly get lots more points and cash!
- Vivatic: Vivatic is a site that allows you to earn money from not only surveys but a number of other jobs such as writing reviews & data entry. Vivatic is a great survey site. Surveys take about 15 mins to complete so it could take you a little while to reach the threshold but the good news is that there’s plenty more extra money making opportunities that they have so well worth a sign up.
- MySurvey: A popular consumer panel who are always looking for new members to participate in market research studies for rewards. Another one worth signing up for. We got lots of surveys sent from these guys, and they tend to match your profile and interests as a consumer. The average survey takes about 15 minutes to complete, and gives you 100 points. So you could earn around £3-£5/hour.
- Crowdology: A popular survey site that instantly rewards with vouchers. They work with big brands and TV shows like Pointless. Instead of offering points they just give you money for completing surveys. Surveys tend to take anything from 2 to 15 minutes to complete and it’s obviously rare to see the higher paying ones.
- OnePoll: Best known for short, quick surveys about every topic. OnePoll provide surveys to the press and major brands. OnePoll were one of the first survey sites around and they’ve always got quick and fun surveys to answer. Look out for the surveys about celebs. Surveys take around 3 minutes so at 20p a survey (average) it’ll take around 10 hours to earn £40. You need to check your account daily for surveys and some users report you get stuck just under the £40 threshold. If this happens you can refer a friend for £4 and then withdraw your earnings.
- Ipsos i-Say: One of the largest (and best paying) survey-based market research companies around, working with trusted brands and research companies worldwide. A well-trusted panel. They send you surveys every week to answer by email. The reward threshold is relatively low, and most people will be able to cash out in under 10 surveys.
- Survey Bods: The surveys usually take around 10 minutes and are pretty easy to complete. You have to be as honest as possible as they have a “strike system”. 3 bad surveys and you’re out. They’re a well trusted site that work with top brands and well worth joining through our link for a £3 bonus when signing up. Make sure you complete your profile too.
Rather than just leaving you with a list of online survey sites we wanted to make sure that you get the most out of all of them. Here’s a few ways to make sure you get the maximum rewards or profit from each site.
- Sign up to them all
- Set up an alias email
- Be honest
- Watch out for scams and fake sites
- Cash in when you reach the limit
- Don’t ever pay to join